Based in Wales’ capital city, Côr Caerdydd was formed by its present conductor, Gwawr Owen, on April 1st 1992 and has become one of Wales’ leading mixed choirs with a very fine competitive record.
- Performing Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony at the BBC Proms in the Royal Albert Hall in July 2011. A double CD of this performance is now available here
- Premiere of Bards of Wales by Karl Jenkins in June 2011 in Budapest in front of the President of Hungary and distinguished guests
- Appearing on Wynne Evans (Gio Compario) CD With a song in my heart
- Recent release of Film music CD on the Chandos label where Cor Caerdydd performs The Storm Clouds Cantata
- Performance of Belshazzar’s Feast with Bryn Terfel and the BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales at the BBC Proms in the Royal Albert Hall in 2006.
- Beethoven 9 with Terfel and Sinfonia Cymru; Mahler 2 and Beethoven 9 with the BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales and a Royal Gala at the Wales Millennium Centre.
- Côr Caerdydd has performed Rossini’s Petite Messe Solenelle and Fauré’s Requiem in Barga, Italy and the Rossini in Oradea, Romania
- Singing at the British Embassy in Paris and for the Paris and London Welsh Societies.
- Three concerts as part of the Interceltic Festival in Aviles, northern Spain in 2009.
- Singing at the Wales Millennium Stadium ahead of the international rugby games.
- Continuing relationship with Welsh composer Karl Jenkins. The choir appears on the EMI recording of Requiem and on the DVD of Jenkins’ Mass for Peace, a work which the choir has performed with Jenkins at the Wales Millennium Centre, St. David’s Hall and the Royal Festival Hall in London. Côr Caerdydd was delighted to be involved in the celebration concert of the music of Karl Jenkins at the Wales Millennium Centre in November 2009.
- 10 wins at the National Eisteddfod of Wales along with ‘Choir of Choirs’ at Gwyl Fawr Aberteifi in 2009.
- Release of new CD featuring music from Wales O Gymru to celebrate the choir’s 20th anniversary.
- Performances of Karl Jenkins’ new work “The Peacemakers” at St David’s Hall, Cardiff, Symphony Hall, Birmingham and the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod
Côr Caerdydd gives many charity concerts throughout each year and has performed at the Welsh Proms, the Centenary Prom, a Classical Spectacular at the Cardiff International Arena, and given concerts at Llandaff Cathedral, Guildford Cathedral and various venues throughout Wales and the UK.
Côr Caerdydd appears regularly on S4C, and BBC Television appearances include FA Classic and Songs of Praise. Radio broadcasts include BBC Radio 2’s Sunday Half Hour, Morning Service on BBC Radio 4, and various appearances on BBC Radio 3.
Gwawr Owen was educated at the Yehudi Menuhin School in Surrey and graduated in music from King’s College London and The City University London. She spent many years producing music programmes for the BBC and currently works as a free-lance producer, concerts/events organiser and is Manager to international harpist Catrin Finch.